Vegan Kombucha SCOBY Sushi
If you've ever made your own kombucha (which if you haven't, I don't know why not...it's so easy!) you may find yourself with a veritable farm of SCOBY's resembling something like a sci-fi movie alien creature takeover. One option to try with your millions of extra SCOBY's is to make vegan sushi!
It's as easy to make as any other kind of basic sushi; this vegan version is really tasty and allows you to omit adding the vinegar to the rice because of the vinegary-ness of the SCOBY ("vinegary-ness" is definitely a word btw.) Unless of course you are a tangy vinegar addict, in which case feel free to still add it. I have a recipe for how to make your own Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar that tastes really good in sushi rice here. Read on below for the sushi recipe, keep in mind the dish will vary in taste depending on what flavor SCOBY you've used. You can also peep my easy homemade kombucha recipe here.
1 cup uncooked brown rice
2-3 cups of water
1 kombucha SCOBY
1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
Fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
Grated radishes (optional)
1. Rinse+drain brown rice, put it in a saucepan on medium heat with the water. Stir in the salt. Bring rice to a boil, then turn down to simmer. Cook until all the water is absorbed (about 45 minutes). Let the rice cool completely.
2. To roll the sushi, cover a bamboo sushi mat with a piece of plastic wrap. Lay a sheet of sushi nori on top of it with the rough side up. With a wet bamboo rice spoon or wet fingers, firmly and evenly place a layer of rice on the nori. Leave 1/2 inch of un-riced space at the end.
3. Add a slice of cucumber & mint across the bottom edge of the sushi. Place small slices of your SCOBY over the other ingredients at the bottom.
4. Pick up the edge of the bamboo mat and fold it over the ingredients, completely encasing them. Continue to tightly roll the nori, use a wet finger to seal the edge.
5. Let the sushi sit for a few minutes before slicing. Sprinkle kelp powder & cayenne on top of sliced sushi and top with grated radishes if desired.
You can also view my #throwback video for how to make Vegan Avocado Cucumber Sushi:
©2017 Cazoshay Marie. All rights reserved.Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Cazoshay Marie with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.